Make sure your celebrations are safe this holiday season.
With the holidays fast approaching, many celebrations include colorful lights, festive decorations and holiday foods. While they add to the merriment, many decorations and foods have hidden dangers to toddlers, small children and even pets.
Don't let memories of an illness or injury mar your holiday season. Here's a quick list of things to watch for.
- Anchor your Christmas tree so it won't tip or fall.
- If you have a live tree, clean up fallen needles which, if eaten, can cause mouth injuries and digestive problems.
- Hang tinsel out of reach. If eaten, it can cause intestinal blockage.
- Use caution with light strings, which can get tangled or cause burns or shocks if their wires are frayed.
- Ornaments are a risk for choking and intestinal blockage.
- Holly, mistletoe and lilies are poisonous. Keep them our of reach.
- Keep lit candles away from pets and small children.
Food and Drink:
- Fatty or spicy foods can cause nausea. Also, bones can splinter and cause intestinal blockages.
- Be careful with alcohol. Even small amounts can be dangerous.
- Wrapping paper, string and ribbons can cause choking or intestinal blockages.
- If you have guests staying with you, make sure all of their medications - including over-the-counter ones - are stored securely.
- Keep handy all emergency numbers, including those for your policy and fire departments and your pediatrician and veterinarian.
We want to wish all of you a safe and healthy holiday. Remember that Frimark/Keller & Associates is a full serviced Trusted Choice Insurance Agency. We have protected the residents and businesses of Schaumburg and Park Ridge since 1910. We offer a full array of personal insurance, business insurance and life insurance products.