Keep your identity safe at school
Data security lapses at major colleges and universities over the past several years have exposed tens of millions of personal records of students, alumni, faculty and staff, and put them at risk of identity fraud theft, according to Identity Theft 911.
Some simple tips can help protect students and families alike.
Safeguard student identity
- Secure your personal documents, including financial aid paperwork, from the view of roommate.
- Avoid Facebook quizzes that expose your personal information to the quiz developers.
- Use strong passwords comprised of numbers, letters and symbols - and change them often.
- Treat your laptop as if you know it's going to be stolen. Use the password-prompt on start-up and shut your laptop down at night.
- Use firewalls and anti-virus software and update them regularly.
- Obtain your free credit report from each of the credit bureaus and review them frequently.
- Use a shredder to eliminate personal information that might be thrown in the garbage.
Give Frimark/Keller & Associates to discuss your options and protect yourself.
Frimark/Keller & Associates is a full serviced Trusted Choice Insurance Agency. We have protected the residents and businesses of Schaumburg and Park Ridge since 1910. We offer a full array of personal insurance, business insurance, and life insurance products.