Insuring Your Home Based Business

According to, 52% of all small businesses are home-based. In today's technologically inclined world, this isn't a surprise. Those that work from home can avoid a long commute, making a home based business attractive to many workers. If you're thinking about starting your own work-from-home business, or you want to work from a company that will allow you to telecommute, first consider these questions and helpful hints from Inc. com:

How much foot traffic will you have?

How much space do you have?

How will your family adjust to the office?

Can you keep your business and personal life separate?

Think about the environment in which you'll be working.

Don't use your home address for your business cards, stationary, collaterals, etc.

Without a storefront, your image is all you have.

Don't skimp on a dedicated phone line.

Make sure that you can close out the noise of your household.

Answer the phone professionally.

Get out of the house every day, even if it is just to get the mail or to take a brisk walk.

Stay involved in outside meetings and activities.

If you do decide to run a business from the comfort of your own home, you need to make sure that you are properly protected, and your home insurance isn't enough to cover you on its own!

Thankfully, the insurance experts at Frimark/Keller & Associates can help you make sure that your home based business has all the insurance coverage that it needs.

You Have Three Basic Insurance Options:

A Homeowner's Policy Endorsement

Some insurance providers will allow you to add an endorsement to your home insurance policy that will cover your home based business. You may also want to inquire about adding on extra homeowners liability coverage, just in case a client or delivery person is injured on your property.

An In-Home Business Endorsement

If you need a little more protection than a simple homeowner's policy endorsement, a business endorsement (also know as an "in home business policy") could be right for you. This policy provides extra coverage, without the need of a full-blown business insurance policy.

A Business Owner's Policy

If you need the most comprehensive insurance possible for a small business, a Business Owner's Policy is what you are looking for. Also called a BOP, this insurance coverage has much of the same protection offered by the first two options, but with more coverage.

So between getting your new at-home business set up on Facebook, give your Frimark/Keller & Associates agent a call at 847-907-4520. We will help you determine how to best go about making sure that your business is properly ensured, whether with your existing home insurance policy or by creating you a new business insurance policy.  Also remember - we can help existing businesses as well! No matter how new or old your business is, our agency can help you find the right insurance coverage for your unique situation!

Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.
We want to protect what matters most to you.

Call us at 847-907-4520 for immediate assistance or get a quote online to find out how we can get you protected.