Every year, at least 430 people die in the US from accidental CO poisoning. About 50,000 people in the US visit an ER yearly due to accidental poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you. That is why it is important to know how to prevent it, detect it and protect yourself and your family from it.
With temperatures in the low teens and single digits, some people may crank the heat up, hover at the stove or even warm up the car before hitting the road. Carbon monoxide is found in fumes produced by burning fuel in cars, stoves, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges or furnaces.
Since you cannot detect carbon monoxide without a carbon monoxide detector, please make sure you have one installed on each level of your home and check or replace the batteries when you change the time on your clocks in the spring and fall. It is also recommended that you replace your carbon monoxide detector every five years.
Symptoms of CO poisoning are best described as “flu-like” symptoms; which includes headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Breathing in a lot of CO can make you pass out or even kill you.
If you suspect that you or someone you know has been exposed to carbon monoxide move them into fresh air and seek emergency medical care immediately.
Frimark/Keller & Associates is a full service Trusted Choice Insurance Agency. We have protected the residents and businesses of Schaumburg and Park Ridge since 1910. We offer a full array of personal insurance, business insurance and life insurance products. Call us at 847-907-4520!