When we think of laundry, we usually think of it as dreaded chore or maybe you think of fresh sheets, but you usually don’t think of danger. In the last few years, laundry pods have grown in popularity because they are convenient. However in the hands of a young child they can be fatal.
In 2016, through March 31st, poison centers have received 2,840 reports of exposures to laundry pods by children age 5 and younger.
These pods are brightly colored and about the size of a small cake or candy. They are very attractive colors (orange, white and blue) and about the right size for their small hands.
If your child has gotten the product in their mouths some symptoms could include excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping for air. Some children get very sleepy and may have breathing problems serious enough to need a ventilator. There have also been reports of corneal abrasions when the detergent gets into your child’s eyes.
Please remember to keep the detergent containers closed, sealed and stored up high, out of the reach of children.
So if you have small children in the home, remember that wonderful curious nature may sometimes get them into trouble.
If you have questions call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222. Save the number in your cell phone or call for a free magnet with the poison center number and an information packet how to poison proof your home.