In the summer months, power outages can be more than an inconvenience – it can be very dangerous, especially if you do not have a game plan to keep cool and minimize risks.
We have complied a list of tips that will have you create a game plan, stay safe and maintain your cool. We recommend printing it out and keeping it handy; after all, if the power’s out, you can’t just jump on your computer to find the help.
- Drink lots of fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty. Try to avoid alcohol and caffeine; they can cause dehydration.
- If you get overheated or dizzy, rest in the coolest part of your home and wipe yourself down with a cool, wet towel. You should seek medical help if you don’t improve quickly.
- Keep physical activity to a minimum.
- If you are outside, use sunscreen and wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Don’t forget about your pets. Animals need a lot of water and shaded areas if they go outside.
- Take a cool shower or a dip in the pool. When you get out, the water on your skin will evaporate and cool you off even more.
- Apply cold water or ice cubes directly to your wrists can help with cooling you off.
- Wear loose-fitting, light colored cotton clothing or a wet shirt, and wrap a damp bandana around your neck.
- Using silk or satin bedding will feel cooler than other materials.
- If it’s sunny out, keep the windows and blinds closed. At night, if it’s safe, open as many of your windows to create a cross-breeze with the cooler night air.
- Open your fridge and freezer as little as possible. It’s tempting to stand in front of freezer with it open, but doing that will accelerate the spoilage of perishable food (24-48 hours for the freezer; about four hours for the fridge).
- Unplug your electronics and appliances. This won’t keep you cool, but we don’t want a surge to fry your computer when the power comes back on.
One of the best strategies for getting through a summer day without power is to distract yourself. How about reading a book or writing a letter (yes, an actual letter). Remember to relax, because the power will be back on soon along with your normal, hectic life.
Frimark/Keller & Associates is a full service Trusted Choice Insurance Agency. We have protected the residents and businesses of Schaumburg and Park Ridge since 1910. We offer a full array of personal insurance, business insurance and life insurance products. Call us for a free quote today at 847-907-4520.