Most lawnmower injuries are preventable if you concentrate on your task and use common sense.
Some basic tips
- Read the instruction manual before using a lawnmower.
- Be sober.
- No bare feet
- Always wear closed toe shoes.
- Do not remove safety devices, shields or guards on switches, and keep hands and feet away from moving Lawnmower Safety parts.
- Stay away from the engine cowling, as it can become very hot and burn unprotected flesh.
- Add fuel before starting the engine, not when it is running or hot.
- Use a stick or broom handle (not your hands or feet) to remove debris in lawnmowers.
- Never let children operate lawnmowers. Keep kids 15 years of age and younger away when lawnmowers are in use.
- Do not leave a lawnmower unattended when it is running. If you must walk away from the machine, shut off the engine.